Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Info/Other: Roman Numerals

Some games (including the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series, both Square Enix) use Roman Numerals in either the titles of the games or in the game itself. Here is a quick resource guide if you are ever confused!

I's indicate single numbers. Just add them up. Example:

I is one
II is two
III is three

However, if an I appears BEFORE a letter, (V=5) you minus one. Example:
IV is four

If an I appears AFTER a letter, you add one. Example:
VI is six

It should also be noted that X=10.

I
1
II
2
III
3
IV
4
V
5
VI
6
VII
7
VIII
8
IX
9
X
10
XI
11
XII
12
XIII
13
XIV
14
XV
15
XVI
16
XVII
17
XVIII
18
XIX
19
XX
20

Hopefully, this mini-guide has helped you. I only went up to 20 because most games do not feature numbers that are much higher than 20. The same rules apply as you keep counting, except other letters get thrown into the mix during higher numbers, though this should be sufficient.

No comments: